June is designated as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Pride Month to remember the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan and celebrate this milestone for the LGBTQ+ population in America. Although memorials are held during this month for those members of the community who have been lost to hate crimes or HIV/AIDS, the spirit of Pride is celebratory. And while the last Sunday of the month was originally designated as the day of celebration, communities around the country eventually chose various days within June to celebrate which led to the variety of events, both celebratory and awareness-focused, that are now held throughout the month. Learn more at on the Library of Congress’s website.
Quick Facts from The Trevor Project’s 2020-2021 Report:
- More than 80% of LGBTQ youth stated that COVID-19 made their living situation more stressful — and only 1 in 3 LGBTQ youth found their home to be LGBTQ-affirming.
- 75% of LGBTQ youth reported that they had experienced discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity at least once in their lifetime.
Pacific Pride Foundation provides services for LGBTQ+ and HIV-impacted communities in Santa Barbara County:
- 2,000 community members receive vital health & wellness services every year.
- 1,000 people receive clean syringes and education about HIV prevention practices including PrEP and safer sex materials.
- 3,000 people attend the Pacific Pride Festival each August.
Connect online by posting on social media: Follow Santa Barbara Opioid Safety Coalition on Instagram at opioidsafetysb. Follow Pacific Pride on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and use the hashtag #PrideMonth all month. Write to incarcerated individuals who identify as LGBTQIA2S+ through Black & Pink National’s PenPal Program.
Events: Attend Pacific Pride Festival for FREE which is hosted by Pacific Pride Foundation will be this August 27 at Chase Palm Park.
For more information about the Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics or Santa Barbara Opioid Safety Coalition, you can contact Eugene Kim or Paul Ristuccia at email@example.com.